Thursday, September 08, 2005

Placing the Blame



As we all continue to try and make sense of Hurricane Katrina, blame is being thrown at the Bush administration left and right. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin blames President Bush, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid blames President Bush, and even uber-musician Kanye West blames President Bush.

With Democratic leaders demanding answers, the Republicans have tried to distance themselves from the situation, calling for a bipartisan committee to examine the delayed reaction to the disaster. The question is: whose fault is it?

President Bush, for starters.

This is the part in the post when the right wingers complain about how unfair it is for the left to blame President Bush for everything gone wrong in the U.S. To them I say: a sitting President should be held accountable for the successes and failures of this country. It's just part of the job.

When President Kennedy helped establish equal rights in this country, many staffers that worked tirelessly on the bill received little or no public praise for their work. Conversely, during the Bay of Pigs, President Kennedy was, and should have been, ripped apart by the press and now by historians. In the case of Hurricane Katrina, President Bush and his administration needs to be blamed for the response time it took to get relief to the people of the Gulf Coast. Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans on August 29th. Relief took nearly a week to come. We have already heard the spinmeiters in the Bush administration say that they couldn't put people on the ground right away, couldn't get supplies there, etc. Why wasn't help in the region in advance? Where were the National Guard?

On August 26th a CNN report warned of the pending force of the Hurricane. So there was ample time to get support in place before Katrina hit. You'd think the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), a division of Homeland Security, would have figured that out in advance...

Unless the Director of FEMA, Michael Brown, had NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE in disaster relief. You see, Director Brown was the former head of the International Arabian Horse Association, a job that he was fired from. So, if there happens to a be a disaster involving horses, saddles, or any other equestrian needs, it's safe to say that Brown's got you covered.

(In a curious moment of logistics, Brown's official title is actually Under Secy. of Homeland Security for Emergency Prepardness and Response. This makes him director of FEMA, and also...it's good, wait for it...responsible for directing the Nuclear Incident Response Team. After this debacle, I'm sure you're as psyched as I am that this is the unit responsible for the nukes. This information is straight from FEMA.gov, kids.)

I'm not suggesting that President Bush or Under Secy. Brown is responsible for the entirety of the unacceptable relief efforts. Blame needs to also fall on Ray Nagin, Mayor of New Orleans, and Gov. Blanco (D-La.) Unlike former New York City Major Rudolph Giuilani, who strode into the 9/11 chaos from day one, Mayor Nagin did not set foot in New Orleans until almost a week later. He claimed he could not properly communicate with both city officials and Washington from New Orleans. Maybe, but Nagin could have helped to restore order in a panic-striken Superdome, as well as direct the rescue effort in the French Quarter, an area left without someone calling the shots.

Both Mayor Nagin and Gov. Blanco completely dropped the ball on evacuating the people of their state, especially the thousands of people living under in poverty who did not have the means to leave their homes. Their struggles are well known, and both politicians should have had police officers patrolling around several days before, picking up the people that didn't have the means to leave. Not to mention providing at least one shelter that allowed pets -- which would have saved hundreds of lives.

I am shocked that, post 9/11, our disaster relief consists of looking like a deer in the headlights for three days before we even figure out ways to fix the problem.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty scared for the next disaster...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Permalink
Jonathan Alter on How to Save the Big Easy. 09/08/05 Gregg Easterbook: Katrina may wreak its worst damage on Detroit--the car industry.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a chocolate cookie recipe site/blog. It pretty much covers recipe related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey paul, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a people relationship dating - RelationshipAdviceGuide.com site/blog.

101 Ways to Build Happy, Lasting Relationships at people relationship dating.

Start Over : When couples first get together, everything is new and exciting.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey paul GREAT title Placing the Blame. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello paul, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title Placing the Blame. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a Rocking horse related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my Rocking horse related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link Rocking horse. Thank you and I wish you well .

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

paul GREAT title Placing the Blame. I am actually looking for Rocking horse related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other Rocking horse related blogs. Thank you.

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello paul, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title Placing the Blame. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a wooden rocking horse related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my wooden rocking horse related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link wooden rocking horse. Thank you and I wish you well .

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey paul GREAT title Placing the Blame. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey paul GREAT title Placing the Blame. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its an amazing story she posted about the . I heard about it at www.horseoutlet.com as well last week.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in car insurance
free online car insurance quote
best car insurance quote
texas car insurance
aig car insurance
new york car insurance
florida car insurance
car
insurance philadelphia

cheap online car insurance quote
fresno car insurance
best car insurance company
car insurance rating
cheap car insurance online
state farm car insurance
car insurance group
best car insurance company
best car insurance
car
insurance philadelphia

cheap car insurance uk
car insurance
car insurance cost
car insurance comparison
auto insurance quote
agent car company home insurance life quote rate
antique car insurance
admiral car insurance
aa car insurance
online car insurance
aarp car insurance
mercury car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
cheap online car insurance quote

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home